I needed a bit of a change! And since this is really the only place that I can control, I use the term loosely, I decided to spruce things up a bit. I hope you like!
There have been lots of changes in our cute and little home. Princess is gone...which is something I am still dealing with. I am ok....just miss her smiling face, and snotty nosed kisses, and pats on the back! :) But adjusting from having 3 children to only 2 is pretty huge. I am using this time to get some things done. Like Christmas shopping! (Our first year as parents!! YAY!) Revamping the Pre-school program at church. Making Christmas cards. Cleaning things that have not been cleaned...in, well, a while!
We are also talking about expanding our license to allow maybe 2 more children, bringing us up to five! (I am catching up with you Melissa!) We are currently looking for a bunk bed. That would be the best way to maximize space in the rooms. But I am still unsure on what to do! I want more children...but I do not want anymore teens....at this present time. I think one is enough. But if the right one comes along, who knows! I do want another baby! Surprised??!! I didn't think so!
Maya's attitude is improving. She has not bit me since the last episode. And it is becoming easier to talk her down from temper tantrums. I am also reading (yes, I said reading!) a book "Dare to Discipline". It is really helpful...and I have learned a few tips. Even though most of this is not geared toward foster families...because the rules are very different than bio families. But still helpful none the less.
G-lo has taken a turn for the better. He has been one outburst after another. Ignoring any and all authority. And I had had it! I told him that his behavior would need to improve, or other consequences would need to be in forced. And he took it...hook line and sinker! Ok..well not totally! But his attitude is better.
It is so totally hard raising a teenager that has pretty much already been raised. But like all children, teens need boundaries...and most of the time they are asking for it. When we started making expectations instead of just suggestions, things improved. "You are expected to do your chores and do them well." "You are expected to ask for permission first...not for forgiveness later." And just showing them love....it really works!!
But can I tell you?? This was the best choice we have ever made...becoming foster parents. I have learned so much in such a short amount of time (9 months!). And I could not imagine a better family for us!
Jemmers :)
2 comments:
Choice between times tends to work well for them to. "Do you want to do the dishes now, or do you want to take half an hour first?"
I like teens. I really do.
Wow is it really only 9 months??? It seems like you've been super mom forever now!
:-D
You are amazing! I am so proud of you!
Post a Comment