Ok....breath!!!
This has been such an amazing day!! Maya is the most beautiful little girl! I already feel like she is mine! I know...don't get too attached! Just wait until I show you a picture of this angel face, and then tell me that!
Maya is 2 years old, and will be 3 in September. She doesn't form sentences yet.....except for the kind in her own language. With every so often a "real" word thrown in for good measure! It is totally cute!! And the expressions she makes!! Oh boy!! And she is a runner...let me tell you!! She just looks at you, grins, and takes off in lightning speed! She loves baby dolls. She loves to sing!! Her favorite word is NO!
Ok...I need some help!!!
* Little Maya is potty training. I have never potty trained a toddler before. I welcome all advice...and ideas...and tricks...and magic pills!!!
* Maya is a beautiful African American girl! She has that georgous curly hair....the hair that I have NO clue how to fix!! Please help!!! I do not want her walking around with crazy hair...that her white momma did...who is also crazy!!!!
* Bed time....is it ok for me to stay with her until she falls asleep?? Her last foster mom did this...and I tried to not do it tonight...but that did not end well. Any helpful hints for bed time??
* Maya loves all the staples....hot dogs, fries, chicken nuggets, mac n' cheese. Is there a healthier alternative? Or should I just be happy that she eats?
Please help a new momma out!!! (that's me!!!!!!!)
Jemmers :)
3 comments:
I can offer advice on a couple of things. First of all, since you just got her don't make any big changes yet. She needs time to adjust and feel secure.
Don't expect her to jump into potty training with much glee. Get her a potty chair, let her sit on it, examine it, get comfortable with it.
When she wakes up, goes for a nap, has a snack, takes a drink, sit her on the potty. Even if she doesn't go, praise her.
Number one thing about potty training, don't make it a big issue. If she refuses, freaks out or cries, just gently remind her she's a big girl and she should let you know if she needs to potty. That gives her some control which 3 yr olds desperately need. See if she'll wear cotton panties. They weirded Bella out at first but eventually she was excited to wear her Princess panties.
Food: Don't change up too much too quick. Give her some staples but also other options on her plate. You never want to make food a big issue.
Sleep: Again don't change what she's used to for awhile. Sleep is most important not only at this age but during her transition.
Perhaps you can take her to a beauty salon and learn tips to care for her hair? Or easy styles for both of you to manage?
We're just in the beginning of potty training so can't help ya there. And Jadyn is white and blond as they come. Can't help ya there either.
Bedtime - well, you're working with habits established before you came along. Start out as is for sure.
Food - With Jadyn, I sneak veggies into her mac n cheese, rice, etc. She also like those carrots cut like strings. I think it's because they are fun to eat.
I'm so excited for you.
This lady http://everydaymiracle.wordpress.com/
and her husband have adopted 2 Hatian daughters. She learned to do their hair. She has pictures and I am positive she'd give you advice on how to "do hair."
God bless you, sweet lady. Such an undertaking, and you're excited about it! **hugs**
Post a Comment