Wednesday, April 18, 2007

This Just Proves It!

One of the good things about the "system" of foster care and children's services, is the programs they offer for the children in placement. This does take some work on the foster parents end to make sure that the child is receiving what he or she needs. You are the advocate for this child!!!

When FS (foster son) was placed with us, he had mentioned wanting a job. So I made his SW (social worker) aware of this and enrolled him a Job Training Program through the county. They teach the kids how to look through the want ads and how to speak professionally on the phone and how to conduct interviews...and so on. A really great program! The kids even receive a $200 clothing certificate for an interviewing outfit once the program has been completed. Awesome idea!

Well, last night was FS's first class. It is about 20 minutes away and lasts for 2 hours, once a week. So I drive him there and let him know that I will be right here to pick him up. Not knowing the area well, and not wanting to chance them getting out early for some reason and me not being there...I stayed. In my car. For the entire 2 hours. It really was not a big deal. I talked on my cell to my mom and then my dad. I called my one friend about a thing. I listened to the radio. I sat and stared out my window enjoying the essence of "Not doing a thing"! It was totally fine.

He comes walking out of the building holding a plate of food....Yes, they even provided snacks and drinks! He gets in the car and asks what time I came back?

Me - "Came back?"
FS - "Yea, to pick me up?"
Me - "Oh, I did not leave. I stayed here and waited until you were done. I did not want to leave and you come out and I was not there. You would have worried."
FS - "So....you stayed in the car....for TWO hours....waiting for me?"
Me - "Well, yes. Of course!"
FS - "That just proves it right there."
Me - "Proves what, sweetie?"
FS - "That I am more important to you then anything else right now."
Me - "What does that mean to you?"
FS - "That you REALLY DO care about me!"
Me - "Yes I do!"

And that my friends, is the reason we are doing this. To show a child that someone does care about them! No matter what! Unconditional love! Something they may have never seen before. And really, the only thing I can give fully! And should!

Now, let's see if this carries through today. :)

Jemmers :)

6 comments:

Dooneybug said...

OH WOW!! You're fostering? That is so wonderful!!! I'm so glad to see you back and blogging and am excited to read about your new journey!

Trinity13 said...

You are just the best foster-momma ever!!!

Jemmers said...

Hey Dooney!

Awwww...thanks Trin!! :)

Pete said...

Oh my goodness. I'm seriously about to get teary. That is an awesome story!

Jemmers said...

I know! Right??!!

It makes all of the hard stuff seem so much more bareable!

Jenny said...

Wow. Jemmers we have gone through this with Mindy too. She sometimes just cannot believe that we would make a sacrifice for her.

She needs SOMEONE to make her their top priority. Your FS has you to make him your top priority. You are doing an amazing thing. Keep it up, Sweetie.