Some of you may remember me from a cute and little blog that I used to have. Now, I am a back. Cuter and littler than ever......well, kinda!
Since I have been gone, my husband A and I have become Foster Parents. I know...HUGE! We have accepted our first foster child...a boy....16 years old. No taking the easy way for us! It is a challenge for all of us.....but I think we can manage. I hope!
So, I welcome any advise that you can give me on how to raise a 16 year old boy. Since we have no children, this is quite a challenge. I have already learned a few things like.......
They are ALWAYS right!
Arguing is a sport.
Asking them to eat breakfast is absolutely mean.
Coats are for whimps!
Their clean and my clean could not be more different!!
No is the new Yes...but it still means no!
I am sure there is much more to learn!
Jemmers :)
6 comments:
Oh, my goodness! Welcome back! Congrats on being foster parents and I'm sure you'll do a great job. My parents did the foster parent thing when I was younger and we had quite a few teenaged males.
I can offer one bit of advice/encouragement to you. Stick to what you know is right in your heart in making decisions regarding rules, etc. Show him respect and love. If you are wrong, please admit it, but don't be afraid to do anything for fear of being wrong.
Even if he seems less than appreciative now, I'll bet he will remember you fondly and as important in his life later if you do those things.
My parents had a guy who it just seemed like he wasn't "getting it", but we ran into him a few years after he left us, and he told my parents how great it had been to be in our home.
Even though it is surely going to be difficult, continue to show him the love of Jesus and pray for him daily. I've prayed for you guys on this and I will continue to remember you in my prayers.
If you think I am an insufferable know-it-all now, I was WAY worse at 16, so I can tell you it is just a phase and with maturity comes the realization about just how much you *don't* know.
Sorry to ramble... Glad you're back!!!
Wonderful to see you back my dear!!!
Jemmers, our 16 year old niece is living with us now... oh my word, friend. I hear ya.
**hugs**
Welcome back!
Hooray! You're back! I'm in the same boat as you as far as raising a teenager...Big D just turned 14. Yikes. Wish I could give advice, but we are still learning ourselves. One thing that has helped in our home is Scott putting his foot down and requiring that our teenager (and all of our kids) respect the woman of the house. A grown man/father figure can make a huge impact on a young lad and can teach him all the important things a boy needs to know about manhood.
God bless you guys on your new journey. I'm praying for you all!
Love,
Melissa
Guru - I did not know that about your parents. Did you mind having the children in your home??
I am holding on to the hope that someday he will get it! And realize that we did care for him! And that he is sometimes wrong! :)
Thanks Trin!!! Good to be back!
Jayleigh - We must compare notes then! I will pray for you as well!
Melissa - I am trying to do that...having A be more involved and letting him know that he has to show me respect! It is just really hard...he is 16 and already set in his ways! Thanks for the prayers!
I didn't really mind having the foster kids around. I was pretty young though, and I really didn't understand what was going on or why we kept getting different kids. It was kind of weird.
I really don't even know why my parents did it or why they stopped.
Post a Comment