I thought it may be time to give a little background on what and why we are doing what it is we are doing. I am sure on the outside, we look totally insane. And that is still mostly true...but we do have a good reason for becoming Foster Parents. It is because.....God told us to! And you do not want to mess with Him!
For years...even while we struggled with infertility...we knew that we wanted to adopt. And even at some point we realized that fostering was an option for us. No matter if we had our *own* children...this was still something that we wanted to do. As crazy as it sounds....we wanted to help save a child. Niave...yes....but whatever our reasoning, we knew that we wanted and needed to do this.
Now...it did take a very long time for me to accept this...and actually do it! I was in denial about so many things. I had been hurting for a child for years...and I knew I could love a child that was not my own...but could I handle all that came with it? Could I handle being attached to this child and for whatever reason...having to let them go? Could I accept this child for who they were....wholeheartedly....and love them none the less?
My answer....though clear to so many others...was unclear to me. But ultimately was YES. Yes...I could do this....with God.
In January of 2007, we began the long and tedious process of becoming licensed foster parents. We attened class after class...and at the end, felt even less prepared for what was ahead! But even more aware of God's will in this situation.
We both agreed from the very begining, to accept children ages 0 - 6yrs old. And I was happy with that. I wanted a chance to have a baby in my home. But God had other plans. A had told me that he felt that God wanted us to accept all ages of children into our home. Now...he was just as unsure about having a teen as I was. We are both still in our 20's and not really sure how that would work. But we listened and were licensed on March 30th for 2 children ages 0-18 years, male or female, all races, foster to adopt.
And I am glad we made that decission. Mainly because this is God's plan...and we need to be open to whatever it is that He wants to do in and through our lives. And also, because ALL children need a loving home. ALL children need to feel safe. And that is something that I can do....even though it is hard!!!!!
Yes...we are brand spanking new to this whole thing....and it has only been a few weeks of active fostering....but I think this was the best thing for us! Even though my life has been turned upside down. Everything has changed. But I think it was for the better! I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength.
It is amazing what can happen when you let go and let God! Really!!
Jemmers :)
4 comments:
You two are so awesome...it's amazing how God is working in your lives!!!
I don't think you are crazy at all. You guys rock!!!
You guys are awesome and I love your attitude and obedience in this whole thing. I know God is going to bless you beyond your wildest dreams, especially since you agreed to get on the roller coaster in the first place!
Well I am new to reading your blog and so far I'm addicted!! I think what you and your hubby are doing is wonderful and I thank you! There are so many younger people that need people like you! I have to catch up, but I'm sure I'll comment more.
Post a Comment