Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Beautiful You.....

My whole life I have struggled with accepting who I am. How I look. How I am different from everyone. I was teased a lot as a child and teen. I was 5 feet 9 inches tall at 11 years old, weighing all of 100 lbs. I had terribly crocked teeth. I had 90's hair, acne...I was a mess!

As I grew older, I began down the path of anorexia. My only sustenance was chewing gum and water. I remember my mom being sad and telling me I needed to eat. But I wanted to be in control. And this was the only thing I could control. With it came lots of issues and problems. But for a good year, I remember all I wanted was to be pretty. To be loved. And not eating was my answer to that.

*I actually remember my best friend's mom telling me that I needed to take care of myself and eat or there could be a chance I could never have children. Yeah.....*

I did manage to allow God to take this burden and I started to down the road to recovery. Learning how to love myself! And to be honest, my only memory of someone telling me I was beautiful came from my father. I think that is what kept me going at times.

When we started fostering teens, I realized that I needed to be ok with me! I needed to accept my weight, my height, my complexion, my muffin top! Because I needed to be able to show the girls that they were beautiful and precious and made by a great and loving creator. It is not easy...but I know that I was made for something...something great...I hope! And knowing that the Lord in heaven created me just as he wanted me, gives me a peace.

There can never be a more beautiful you
Defy the lies, disguises and hoops they make you jump through
You were made to fill a purpose
That only you can do
So there can never be a more beautiful you!
~Johnny Diaz

Jemmers :)

3 comments:

Sew said...

You are so beautiful! You have such a great spirit and your laughter and giggle just make me so happy! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello, Old Blogging Friend!
I'm trying to get caught up on your life and can't believe how long I've gone without blogging in my life! I am praying for you, and find it kind of funny (my sick sense of humor here,) that we are going through a similar cleansing of sorts.

I sat in the car Sunday afternoon crying, telling my husband that I hated myself, and I know God is trying to weed that self-hatred out of me so I can learn to love myself and soon...the next kid we adopt. It's tough to go through, but I too, am finding peace as I let God work it all out of me(and in me).

Thank you for sharing. I've missed you and am praying for you!

my life: said...

Thank you for sharing this...so deep and personal. To some degree we ALL struggle with this issue.

And I LOVE that song...it's my song to my daughter. :0)