Monday, March 23, 2009

Back to Reality....

Having a teen mom in the home is difficult. I mostly just try to lead by example. I try not to say much, cause when I do...she blows up at me. I have been told on many occasions to "butt out"! While that seems like it would be great of me to do...as a foster mom...as a human being...I just can't always do that.

Yes, I believe that we learn greatly by our own mistakes. And that trial and error is a great learning tool. But when concerns begin to arise, then "butting out" is just not an option.

I won't go into details, much...but I did have a word with Miss K last night about somethings that have concerned me in regards to the care of her daughter. And then she said her time here was up...and I over stepped the line...and that she hated me. It was not pretty!

I do understand her reaction, to a point. Being criticized (not really what I was trying to do..but more how she felt) is not an easy thing to take. Questioning one's ability to parent is not something that should be taken lightly. And should be done with respect and gentleness. And I did try...but I also care more about baby precious than Miss K's reactions to my concerns. It needed to be addressed!

My job is not easy...and days like this I hate it. But I believe that what I am doing is for the betterment of these kids. Even if I have to be the bad guy at times. And even when that means being the bad guy is loving them.

Jemmers :)

3 comments:

Sew said...

Oh I can't even imagine! But I will pray that God gives you the strength and grace to show her His love! :)

cloudmaster said...

off topic.....I noticed your I heart cupcakes comment. We were in dallas this past weekend. check out www.sprinkles.com best cupcakes in the world!!!

Mrs. Breum said...

I can't imagine working w/ a teen mom- I have a lot of admiration for you! just found your blog recently. Yay for the adoption-to-be!