Friday, December 12, 2008

11 Year Old Girl......

HELP!!!

We will possibly be getting an 11 yr old girl. She is staying with us this weekend as a respite...but with the huge possibility of a placement.

I am scared. I know nothing about 11 year old girls..today! So.....please help. Tell me all I need to know?? If you think we are crazy...tell me that too!

Jemmers :)

6 comments:

Yondalla said...

11-year-old girl for respite?

What's the worry?

Get a Hannah Montana DVD and a bunch of popcorn. If you want to go nuts, buy some cheap nail polish.

And I apologize if she has more diverse interests than the typical 11 y/o girl.

Stacey said...

i wish i had some advice for you. i know nothing about 11 year olds. i think the hannah montana idea is a good one. i know at that age they love one on one girl time. maybe even take her for "coffee" and have nice girl time. starbucks makes kids hot chocolate so they can feel grown up! let us know how it goes!!

YankeeAmanda said...

Tweens are tough. They long to act older but often have a tough time figuring out how to let go of the "little girl" stuff. And in today's society, tweens sometimes seem a lot more like 15 year olds. Scary.

I pray God guides you in this decision!

Anonymous said...

One word: Webkinz!

I have an 11 year old and she is totally delightful! full of fun, full of grace, full of life!

Sometimes my little girl, sometimes my grown up girl. Loves to read. (Harry Potter and Twilight) Loves Suite Life of Zack and Cody. Loves lip gloss and sparkly jewelry. Loves Nintendo DS. Hates mornings!

Be not afraid--just enjoy her! Listen to her, and she will show you the way to her heart.

Anonymous said...

There is a wealth of 10-12 year olds in my house these days... My nephew is 12, plus two of the kids now living with us are 12 and 10... and of course Bobby, who usually comes after school, is 12. I think I'm MUCH better with younger kids, but I've been forced to learn a little about that age group. My advice? MOST kids that age WANT to be friendly and well-liked by a new adult. Let her know about whatever rules and guidelines will apply to her while she's there, and then basically talk to her sort of like you would an adult... like you'd talk to a neighbor or something. Try to include her in whatever you or your other family members are doing. Maybe ask her what she'd normally be doing at this time of day.
If she stays with you longer... more of the same, but probably she'll be pushing limits more as she grows comfortable with you. By then, hopefully, you'll be comfortable enough with her too!
Good luck!

Unknown said...

My kids are 4 and 2 but I did keep my 10 year old, defiant, troubled, neice the entire summer and I learned that you can change the rules to suit your purpose, no matter how much she tells you you can't. Good Luck