**Alternate Title: I Grow More Prudish with Age**
I am not totally sure where this is coming from. It could be my 15 year old daughter, or my age, or my upbringing, or my total lack of understanding of the world around me! I don't know...but I do know that my uncomfortability radar is set on high!
I would consider myself to be conservative. In dress, lifestyle, some politics and so on. But I am not completely out of it. I get the style of today. I am not so ok with it. I can over look the super black eyeliner all over my teenagers eyes...but the "half dress" that is really a shirt...worn with what are called leggings...which by the way are no where close to being pants...I am not so cool with. Let's leave something to the imagination! *Code for..Cover up, Chickie!"*
Oh..it gets better.
We were watching the Olympic trails the other day. Particularly the "men's" diving. Ok...they were all BOYS, like 14 to 17, maybe. What bothered me, a lot, were the "uniforms" they wore. Ok, I understand that there is a lot that goes into the logistics of diving and everything, but itty bitty underpants looking swimming trunks are a bit too revealing for a young teen boy! I was a bit embarrassed for them! Having to constantly make sure that nothing was showing! Ugh!
And the clincher....
I was watching the Camp Rock movie on Disney the other night....yes, I watch the Disney Channel...Well, there was a part where the two main guy and girl characters realized that they liked each other. You know, more than just friends. And they stood really close to the other. I was panicked!!!! Why???? Cause they may kiss??? In the words of Miss Diva..."Guys and Girls kiss, mom! Gosh!" Yes, I know this. I was a teen girl who kissed a teen boy a few times. But the mother inside of me could not handle it! And well, they did not kiss...they held hands. Which was nice.
So why does all of this bother me?? We are making our children grow up WAY too fast. I mean, most young teens these days could pass for legal adults. I know I have to keep a close eye on 15 year old Diva...seeing as she looks 19!!! The world is not safe...and I know growing up and becoming and adult is part of life...but for me, it is just scary. I am all for free expression and being who you are...and learning by experience. But could you please cover up and take it slow??? There is plenty of time for what you are so anxious to experience!
Whatever happened to pigtails and Barbie dolls??
Anyone out there agree with me?? Or am I a total prude??
Jemmers :)
6 comments:
I'm in agreement! (waving hand above head wildly) I have my own 15 year old foster daughter (16 at the end of this month) now, too.
Angela :-)
Great! At least now I know I am not completely crazy....unless...you are completely crazy as well! :)
Good luck with your teen foster daughter! They are a lot of fun!!
*hugs*
I don't think much about divers' outfits, but I do spend a fair amount of time worrying about girls dressing provocatively (with an 11 year old at home!).
BTW... having 3, I watch Disney Channel a lot (even when they aren't around). Did you know that Jonas Brothers all wear promise rings (Lo said she saw them in Camp Rock) and have pledged to remain virgins until marriage? I am just cynical to realize that this may not hold, but I'm glad to see them recognizing and trying to hold to God's standard. They even say that the rings are "promises to ourselves and to God that we'll stay pure 'til marriage."
Anyway... great blog. I still read often!
I agree that once I became responsible for someone besides myself, I became a total prude, too.
Things I will watch on TV, I WILL NOT watch in front of Mindy or any other kids because I don't want to have to answer their questions. And even if *I* know it's not OK, they may not know. So it's my job as the adult to NOT subject the kiddos to things I don't want them to know about just yet, or believe that they are OK.
You're a good Mom, that's all. :)
Jemmers:
I would like you to go to
www.fosterfamilytalk.blogspot.com if you wouldn't mind. I was referred here to your site by D. as she seemed to think we were going through pretty much the same types of struggles right now. After reading your post, I agree. My foster daughter is 12 going on 18. Before our house, she was allowed to do and wear and say pretty much anything she wanted to. We had to totally redo her wardrobe and make her make-up off limits and limit her jewlery to what we considered modest. We are very careful with what we watch on television. We always have been, even with our own 3 children. But A. comes from a family that allowed her to watch all of the horror movies you can imagine and yet she knew pretty much nothing about any of the Disney movies like sleeping beauty, little mermaid, beauty and the beast. You get the picture. She did not know any little kid stories and because of all of this, she has always felt "too big" to enjoy those baby things. She can't stand our rules and feels like we are ridiculous. She let us think things were going pretty good but recently we found out that she is thinking about running away if her mom's court hearing in October finds her mom unfit and she is put up for adoption. We have always had an understanding that we would adopt her and have always told her how much we love her and she has always reciprocated back with the same. I am in complete shock (this is my first and maybe only foster child) that she has these feelings that I knew nothing about. I cried half of the day today while I was also taking care of my 20 month old grandon who just came down with the stomach flu. I felt quite crazy by mid day. So, here I am. Thankful that I have now read about another mother who seems to be going through some of the same crazy thoughts as me. Any advice on my post would be greatly appreciated!
Diane
Post a Comment